Mobile applications have become a staple of everyday life. There are over 1.5 million apps in the App Store, and iOS developers have earned a total of more than $25 billion since the first iPhone launched in 2007. With the release of the iPad, Apple Watch, and Apple TV knowledge of Swift is an increasingly in-demand skill. This workshop will give you a taste of what it takes to build an iOS app in Swift. You’ll learn the Basics of Xcode, Interface Builder, Playgrounds, and the Swift language. By the end of the day, you’ll build a small app.
- Learn about the current mobile ecosystem
- Basics of Programming in Swift in Xcode Playgrounds
- Learn about the Xcode Integrated Development Environment
- Learn how to use Interface Builder to wireframe your apps
- Write a simple login form application by the end of class
- Write a simple calculator application by the end of class (if there is time)
- 10:00am – 10:20am: Kick off
- 10:20am – 10:40am: Introduction to the iOS Platform
- 10:40am – 11:00am: Why Learn Swift?
- 11:00am – 12:00pm: Introduction to Programming in Swift (Part 1)
- 12:00pm – 12:30pm: Lunch
- 12:30pm – 1:30pm: Introduction to Programming in Swift (Part 2)
- 1:30pm – 2:45pm: Build a simple login form in Swift
- 2:45pm – 4:00pm: Build a simple calculator in Swift (if there is time)
- 4:00pm – 4:15pm: External resources to continue learning on your own
- 4:00pm – 4:30pm: Student Presentations
- 4:15pm – 4:30pm: Wrap Up and Q+A
Prerequisites + Preparation
- No programming experience is necessary. Please note that this class is for persons with zero programming knowledge, so it will move slowly.
- Macbook/Macbook Air/Macbook Pro with OS X El Capitan (10.11) installed
- Free account at developer.apple.com (you can use your existing iTunes/iCloud ID to login)
- The latest version of Xcode (https://developer.apple.com/xcode/download/) installed on your computer. Make sure IT IS NOT the Beta version.
This workshop will be held at Betamore’s campus located on the 4th Floor at 1111 Light Street, Baltimore, MD 21230. For parking + directions visit bit.ly/betapark
This workshop has been postponed.